Knut Lang's Camp
9. Knut Lang's Camp
This place is located at the foot of the Richardson Mountains and is named after Knut Lang who had a fur trading post here ca. 1936-64. Mr. Lang was originally from Denmark and moved to the Aklavik area in 1928 to trap. Aklavik elder Annie B. Gordon described him as a tall, strong man who was highly regarded by the local people because of his generous and kind nature. In 1957, he was elected as a member to the NWT Council and remained on council until his death in 1964. Most of the cabins at the camp date from the time of Mr. Lang’s trading post. Also present is a traditional spruce bark fish house built by Neil Colin of Fort McPherson in July 1997. This camp has been used over the years as a young offender, cultural, traditional knowledge and western science camp.